I Have Always Strived To Be Amongst The Best— OAU Nursing Best Graduating Student, Olatunde Nafisat

Abdulbasit Abdulkareem

With a 4.78 CGPA, Olatunde Nafisat Olaide emerged as the overall best-graduating student in the Nursing Science Department of Obafemi Awolowo University, she was announced as the best during the Nursing Induction that took place last week. In this exclusive interview with OAU Kilonshele, the Nursing graduate talked about her journey as a student - the steps she took to achieve this feat, among other things. 

 Can you briefly introduce yourself?

 I'm Olatunde Nafisat Olaide, a registered Nurse/Midwife. I am married and blessed with two lovely children.

 What CGPA/honor did you graduate with?

 CGPA of 4.78, I graduated with distinction (First class honors)

How many awards did you bag on your induction day?

 2 awards; best overall inductee and best inductee in maternal and child health nursing.

Was Nursing your choice right from the start?

Medicine specifically Neurosurgery had always been what I wanted but due to a lot of reasons I had to settle for Nursing which I do not regret doing.

Was OAU your choice from the start?

No, it wasn't

Which school then?

I had wanted to go to UI then but I wasn't offered admission for the course I wanted to do so I went to the School of Basic Midwifery, Saki where I finished in 2015 before I eventually joined the OAU ODL Nursing program for the 2017/2018 academic session.

 Have you ever thought you were going to emerge as the best-graduating student?

 Not really but I have always prayed and strived to be amongst the best.

How did you feel when you realized there was a probability of you emerging as the best-graduating student and when it was finally announced?

 I never thought there was a probability of graduating as the best inductee as we had 2 sets of graduating students from the ODL and the regular students were also there. I just knew that I was graduating with a first class, I only knew about the best-graduating student right inside that hall on the induction day.
I felt happy, grateful and fulfilled.

With a CGPA of 4.78 and 2 awards, what were the strategies you fashioned to achieve this feat?

As an ODL student, it meant I'm not a full-time student so I'm working and also have a family to cater for. We do most of our lectures online and only come to school for practicals and exams. Some of the strategies I used were;
Setting up priorities: I prioritize tasks and activities based on their importance and deadlines.
Allocation of time: I allocated time for studying, attending classes, and completing assignments and other extracurricular activities. I was quite consistent with this with the help of my husband as it is easier to neglect reading for a long time till the exam period because of the way the ODL program runs
Respecting my limit as a student: I recognize my physical, mental, and emotional limitations so I avoided taking on more responsibilities that I could handle effectively at a time
Avoidance of comparison: Comparing oneself to others can be demotivating and counterproductive, so I focused on my progress and growth. I celebrate my achievements and success no matter how small they might seem. 
Determination: I made a positive resolution at the beginning of the program to not let anything stop me from achieving success in the program. This and prayers kept me going during the difficult times.
Dedicated Study Space: I created a quiet and organized area free from all sorts of distractions specifically for studying in my home. It assisted me to focus and concentrate better.
Consistency is another key mechanism: I set a regular study routine that aligns with my schedule and stick to it. Having a routine helped me to create a habit of studying, making it easier for me to manage my time and stay focused.
Prayer: this is the major strategy I used both during the easiest and difficult times.
Journaling and discussing my trials, fears, and difficulties with my spouse helped me a great deal whenever I felt defeated and decided to quit and I always remind myself of what my goals and visions are and why I enrolled in the program in the first place.

 What was your study/reading pattern?

 As I said earlier, I am already working as a midwife while doing this program so my reading time depends on the shift I'm running at work and how busy my shift is but in all I ensure I read for at least an hour per day except for days when I was extremely busy or had other family engagements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.