'Never Raise The White Flag' — OAU Overall Best Graduating Student, Similoluwa

In an Interview with OAU Kilonshele Reporter, Abdulbasit Abdulkareem, the Overall Best Graduating Student of Obafemi Awolowo University on the 2021/2022 Academic Session shared his experience. He emerged as the Overall Best Graduating Student of Obafemi Awolowo University with a CGPA of 4.93.


Can you briefly introduce yourself?

I am Similoluwa Okunowo, a recent graduate of Electronic and Electrical Engineering from Obafemi Awolowo University. I am from Ijebu East in Ogun State.



 What CGPA/honor did you graduate with?

I graduated with a CGPA of 4.93 out of 5.0

 Was EEE your choice from the start?

Yes. I have always been passionate about science, technology, and innovation. Choosing to study EEE was a no-brainer because it is at the forefront of technologies that shape the future. I'm grateful for the opportunity to pursue my passion in this field.

 Was OAU your choice from the start also?

 No, It wasn't. 

Have you ever thought you were going to emerge as the best-graduating student?

 I truly never visualized this outcome. It still feels surreal, and I'm genuinely humbled by this recognition. I owe a debt of gratitude to God, my family, my lecturers, and the entire OAU community for their support and inspiration throughout my academic journey.

How did you feel when you realized there is a probability of you emerging as the best graduating student and when you heard about it?

 I was initially surprised and emotional, I became filled with immense gratitude and a profound sense of accomplishment.

 What were the specific strategies or study techniques that you found particularly effective in achieving your success?

Relentless effort, rather than sheer brilliance, was the cornerstone of my academic strategy.

Besides that, I developed a system for taking organized and meaningful notes during lectures or while reading. Then I used spaced repetition to enhance the long-term retention of those lecture notes and optimise the learning process.

Regular problem solving, and teaching concepts to others also contributed to my good grades.

 What were the extracurricular activities you were involved in while on campus?

I participated in some extracurricular activities that facilitated my holistic growth. 

How did you balance extracurricular activities with academics?

 I employed effective time-management strategies. I also created a schedule, and set clear boundaries for different commitments.

 What was your study/reading pattern?

I did not have a specific reading/study pattern. However, I mostly read at night on campus.

Can you share some of the challenges you faced during your course of study?

I encountered various challenges typical of the OAU academic environment. However, those challenges were viewed as opportunities for growth. 

How did you maintain motivation and focus during challenging times or demanding periods of your studies?

My family served as the primary source of motivation during challenging times, providing unwavering support, love, and encouragement throughout my academic journey. Music was also my go-to "drug" during those challenging times.

Are there professors or courses that had a significant impact on your academic and personal growth?

 Yes. All of my lecturers and project supervisors contributed to my academic growth in various ways.

Can you reflect on any memorable moments or experiences that stand out from your time as a student at OAU?

I enjoyed the long walks. 

What advice do you have for current and future students striving for academic excellence at OAU?

Show up every day! Consistent dedication, focus, and discipline will be your greatest allies on the path to academic excellence. Also, just be yourself, and never raise the white flag.

 What's the meaning of never raising the white flag?

"Never raise the white flag" is a metaphorical expression that means the students striving for academic excellence should never give up in the face of challenges or adversity.

 What will you miss about OAU?

 The serene environment, the "rogbodiyan", and easy access to incredible geniuses and creatives.

Are there specific goals or plans you have for the future, considering your academic achievements at OAU?

Yes. I don't have a clear path now, but the ultimate goal is to contribute to the advancement of humanity using technology and create solutions that sustainably address real-world challenges.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.