I Obtained First Class Honors in MCB at Covenant University, OAU Medicine BGS Narates Experience.

Abdulbasit Abdulkareem

A student, Obuekwe Chukwuemeka Azubuike emerged the best graduating student of Medicine and Surgery of Obafemi Awolowo University. He was given 15 prizes in the recently concluded induction of students of Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Clinical Sciences. In this exclusive interview with OAU Kilonshele, the Medicine and Surgery graduate spoke about his journey as a student - the steps he took to achieve this feat, among other things, while interviewed.



       Can you briefly introduce yourself?

        My name is Obuekwe Chukwuemeka Azubuike. I am one of the recently Inducted Doctors of the Obafemi Awolowo University Faculty of Clinical Sciences. Before entering Medical School at Ife, I completed a degree in Microbiology from Covenant University where I graduated with First Class Honours and was the Best Graduating Student in my course at the time. Next week, I'll also be Graduating as the Overall Best Student in the Faculty of Clinical Sciences at OAU with 15 Prizes to be awarded on Convocation day.

        Was OAU your choice from the start to study Medicine?

        Not really. As you may know, Medicine is a postgraduate course in the US and my initial intention was the take the MCAT after my degree in Microbiology at Covenant University so I could study Medicine in the US. However, due to some circumstances beyond my control, I had to study Medicine in Nigeria and OAU Medicine seemed like the best option at that time.

        Have you ever thought you were going to emerge as the best-graduating student?

         Not really. I just consistently dedicated myself to giving my best at every juncture. My focus lies more on acquiring extensive medical knowledge and broadening my skill set than fixating on grades. Excelling academically and graduating as the best naturally followed from this pursuit of knowledge and skill development.

         How did you feel when you realized there was a probability of you emerging as Medicine's best-graduating student and when it was finally announced?

         When I realized there was a possibility of me graduating as the overall best student in Medicine and Surgery, I worked very hard to meet this goal because I have certain plans for my future career and such an accomplishment would make those plans possible. When it was finally announced, I was elated and deeply thankful to God for making this a possibility. I was also very happy that I made my parents and siblings proud.
    
          Can you share some of the challenges you faced during your medical school journey and how you overcame them?

          Sure, most of the challenges I faced were related to the limited study time and the tremendous amount of reading required to get through medical school. I tried to overcome this by finding any opportunity to study between classes and postings and also having a dedicated study time for a couple of hours every night. I also found ways to make my learning easier by adjusting my study technique, using additional materials, etc. One other major challenge I faced in medical school was the loss of my dear friend and colleague, Lawrence Glory Ibeojo. I'm still in the process of recovering from that but it gets easier each day.


           How did you maintain motivation and focus during challenging times or demanding periods of your studies?

            I tried to remember the reason why I started this journey and I pictured how excited I would be at the finish line. Those two things kept me motivated. The fact that I particularly found the science of medicine quite fascinating also made it easier to stay focused.

           With 15 prizes, what were the strategies you fashioned out to achieve this feat?

            I'll say my strategies were that I was very consistent with my academics. More importantly, my primary focus has always been on acquiring the knowledge I need to be an excellent doctor, and in the process, I worked very hard to achieve this feat. Also, I cannot underestimate the role of the support from my family, friends, and God.

          Are there particular professors, courses, or experiences at OAU that you found especially impactful in shaping your medical knowledge and skills?

           Yes indeed. The Medical Program at OAU is certainly one of the best in the country and the curriculum is very comprehensive and competency-driven one that seamlessly integrates the basic medical sciences and clinical sciences. My clinical teachers have contributed in no small way to my success. I'm particularly grateful for the likes of Prof. Adegbehingbe (Mr and Mrs), Prof Adisa, Prof Kolawole, Prof Sowande, Dr. Adefidipe, Dr. Asaolu, Prof Makinde, Dr. Awowole, Dr. Ayegbusi, Dr. Adegoke, Dr. Enitan, Prof Komolafe, Dr Adedeji, Dr Idowu, Prof Ndububa, Dr Mrs Esan, and Prof Ijadunola to name a few.

           In your opinion, what qualities or characteristics are essential for success in a demanding program like medicine?

          Success in medicine requires a great deal of resilience, empathy, keen attention to detail, communication skills, and a commitment to self-directed learning. The ability to handle stress, work well with your colleagues as a team, and adapt to evolving situations is also crucial. One must also be willing to work very very hard and make some sacrifices along the way.

          How do you envision contributing to the field of medicine in the future, and what areas of healthcare are you particularly passionate about?

           I'm particularly passionate about Oncology and Medical Education and I hope to contribute to the field of medicine by practicing as a clinician-scientist with a special focus on Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers and undertaking advanced research in Cancer Immunology. I plan to do this while contributing to the training of the next generation of doctors.

           Are there any extracurricular activities you engaged in while on campus?

            Yes. I enjoyed spending time with my close friends and going up the “mountain” with some of them from to time. I also did a side hustle in data analysis whenever my schedule allowed it.


           How did you balance extracurricular activities with academics?
          
           It was relatively easy. Academics always came first for me. I had personal and professional goals and I knew that I had to prioritize my academics to meet those goals so whenever I got closer to exams or had a lot of studying to catch up on, I had to put a brief hold on my extracurricular activities to allow me focus.

             What's your advice to students aiming to achieve this feat of academic excellence?
             
              To excel academically, you must prioritize consistent study habits, engage actively in practical experiences, seek mentorship from senior colleagues, and stay curious about the science of medicine and advancements in the field. Balancing dedication, resilience, and a genuine passion for learning will contribute to your success.

               Can you reflect on any memorable moments or experiences that stand out from your time as a student at OAU?

               I've had some not-so-great moments. Some examples that come to mind easily are the type an Anatomy lecturer sent me out of the class because he claimed I knew I had to fix the issues with the projector but didn't stand up to volunteer sooner than I did. There was also the time I had an issue with my mental health long case clinical exam because the senior resident in charge did something wrong that affected me. However, these are just some rare occasions in an otherwise amazing time I had at OAU.

            What will you miss about OAU?

            The Serenity and Safety on the OAU campus at any time of the day.
             
             Are there specific goals or plans you have for the future, considering your academic achievements at OAU?

             Certainly. I plan to undergo specialized training in Surgical Oncology and also get advanced degrees in Oncology related sciences. This will help me make a difference in the battle against Cancer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.