SHORT STORY: Not Again!

Peter Oyebanji


A young man came in just when I was about to leave the hall, he was well-dressed in an expensive suit with a sleek shoe, he looked sophisticated and wealthy enough. People were shouting excitedly, I was lost, I don’t know him, how come? I was still thinking of staying or leaving when he picked up the microphone and cracked a joke, "at least he has a good sense of humour, it won’t be the worst of programme," I thought.


He didn’t introduce his topic, he said some words blazingly. The accent, damn! I was still trying to recollect those words he put out when I heard “focus.” "Focus," he repeated. Before he started digging deep, he gave some examples. He talked about Warren Buffet, how being focused has been one of his drives.

He shared a story about what Warren Buffet told his pilot, how he told him to list his top 25 career goals then told him to circle his top 5 goals. The pilot had two lists, the circled 5 and the 20 he had not circled. The pilot decided to work on the top 5 he circled then Buffet asked him about the 20 he didn’t circle, the pilot replied that the top 5 are his primary focus while he will work on the other 20 intermittently. Buffet then told him he had got it wrong, he had to avoid the other 20 at all cost. "No matter what, the other 20 get no attention until he has achieved the circled 5."
It was making sense until he started talking against social media, how we youths of nowadays waste time on social media.

 “Some of you now put leaves on your head,” he said. He was talking, they were laughing, I was thinking. "Gibberish," I uttered. "There are people that use social media a lot and are hugely successful plus not all of us waste time doing unimportant stuffs on social media," I whispered. One of those people that buy opinion hastily without collecting change heard me and countered me.

I was about to engage him until I heard “for example, when did you read your bible last.” I observed him and found out he was “SU,” how did I miss that? I giggled and looked away, Mr Focus was still talking about focus. I had a test the next day, "reading that boring course would be better than this," I thought. As I was leaving the hall, I was comparing the programme to other bad ones I have attended to deduce if it will fall among the worst ones.

On my way to library, a lady went past me. I already saw the front not that it was convincing, but then I had to check the back. Just as I turned to check, she jiggled the ass, whoop. I was about to follow her when I saw Mr Focus smiling. Oh no, NOT AGAIN!  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.