"I didn't choose cooking, it chose me" CEO, Another Muslimah's Kitchen

Popularly known as Another Muslimah's Kitchen (AMK), Adepoju Khadijah has been able to make a name for herself and business in the environs of ile-ife, Osun State as a Chef while a student and even after school. She's the first graduate and aluman to feature in "The Mavericks" serves.

Regale yourself with our session with her and be inspired.





Intr: Hi. Good to have you here ma'am.

AMK: It's good to be here too.

Intr: Could you please introduce yourself to our readers?

AMK: I'm Adepoju, Khadijah Oluwatomisin. I'm a chemical engineering graduate of Obafemi Awolowo University. I'm a private chef, a food blogger, a food consultant, an event caterer. I help restaurants develop amazing recipes for their consumers. I'm also OAU's number 1 pasta maker. 😊☺

Intr: It is safe to let our audience know that you're the first graduate we'd be featuring and the first alumna in that respect in our series. We are honoured to have you and how do you feel about this?

AMK: I feel great about that, it feels good to be the first maverick who is an alumna. Thanks for giving me the opportunity.

Intr: So, a graduate of Chemical Engineering, Obafemi Awolowo University.. Haha.. That's one powerful department... How would you describe your experience as a student?

AMK: Hehe... it was one hell of a ride, allow me use the hell word. But seriously it was really energy consuming; from carrying drawing board and other materials every Wednesdays in part 2, the uncountable CHE301 assignments, CHE505/506 reports, sometimes you just feel like giving up but in all it was a great ride. Allow me to add that the journey wouldn't have been as great as it was without my classmates, PROCESS MAFIAS, they are the kind of classmates everyone should have.

Intr: Shout out to PROCESS MAFIAS' Like, what would be your forever stuck moment? An experience you'd never forget..

AMK: Well... there are a lot but one of them was sitting for an exam where I didn't write much  (mind you I missed the test and had to do a makeup test) and still bagging a dope grade.

Intr:  As an identified Maverick among your peers... Would you please describe your entrepreneurship exploit?

AMK: Well, as I stated in my introduction, I cook but also I bake and I make nice cocktails and mocktails. I started with cooking for myself before monetizing it. I go for outdoor events; tradefairs, I take orders and deliver to clients in their homes. I am a food consultant too, I share recipes (and/or recommendations) with restaurants and people for a token, I work on contract with any available client. Also, I realise I have a thing for planning events, I've not started making money out of this but soon... soon. 😁


Intr: Of all interests you could pick up, why cooking? Why was it something you had to do as a student to become a chef while still an undergraduate?

AMK: I didn't choose cooking, it chose me so I really don't have "the why". The people who inspired me start cooking probably don't know it. In my part 2, my friends would talk about this recipe or the other and it made me start checking up recipes too, on instagram, on YouTube, and then I started to practise. I started to discover food, that I was an undergraduate didn't matter, I would watch recipes and sometimes use my last cash buy ingredients to try out the recipes. Might I add that I'm self taught, I taught myself to bake, to make drinks, Smoothies, I read on food photography, food styling.

Intr: Hmmm.... This is a lot...Some would call you the Queen of chefs in OAU. What brought about the name "Another Muslimah's Kitchen"??

AMK: I really don't know why the brand name had to be "ANOTHER MUSLIMAH'S KITCHEN" but I would like people to think of it as I'm just "another" Muslim girl ("muslimah") who cooks, the foods you see are from her kitchen... so "another Muslimah's Kitchen".

Intr: Hmm... That's so sweet...

Intr: How did you juggle between your academics and your business? Finishing with excellent class and still running your business perfectly after school.. How? Just how? What worked for you?

AMK: I always tried to create time for whatever needed to be done. I'd turn down some jobs when I had too much on my plate. I knew what worked for me in terms of academics, I worked accordingly and then it helped.

Intr: Did you ever have " down" moments? When you thought you shouldn't have started a side business as a student?

AMK: Yeah, I did... a lot in fact. Sometimes it all gets too much, the stress, and the fact that I was staying in a private hostel (maintenance) where there was limit to the type of kitchen tools I could use to make the job easier. Sometimes I would cook in batches because I couldn't use an industrial gas and big pot in my hostel but that was until I found a way to link myself with a buka whose kitchen I later started to use for my bulk cooking.

Intr: Do you have mentors in this practice you look up to? Mention at least two

AMK: When I started to research food, I used to stalk "dooneyskitchen" a lot, I later started to discover other chefs some of which I talk to about food. They include Ozoz of kitchenbutterfly, Chef Stone of Red dish Chronicles.

Intr: How was response from home towards your exploits? Supportive or not?

AMK: Extremely supportive, I just received a text from my mum to make shawarma for her when I'm come home, lol. My family are supportive of my choice, they call me "Another Muslimah" and you can be sure whenever I'm at home they'd make sure I make them some Another Muslimah's Kitchen goodness.

Intr: So, a graduate now and still running your business smoothly from our research... What's your secret?

AMK: Never giving up and developing  a sincere love for what you do. Cooking is a buddy to me and I can't imagine dumping it.

Intr: As a chef, do you have a favourite? And what's that food you are most comfortable cooking?

AMK: I do not have a favourite food. My family might say I love Indomie noodles (which I do) and my friends might say I love pancakes, which I also do but that's because it's extremely easy to make.

Intr: Do you have anything you'd like to say to OAU students and your customers?

AMK: I would love to thank the OAU community and my customers for their love at all of our trade fairs, the love is always so overwhelming. Don't stop trusting us and please watch out for what the brand has to offer (yes, we are planning something).

Intr: We hope to have exclusive gist on that though ... (Smiles)

Intr:Where do you see yourself in five years? You as a person and your business.

AMK: I see myself practising as a chemical engineer. I also see restaurants in different location with Another Muslimah's Kitchen's tags on them.

Intr: We have reached the final question for our conversation. What advice would you give a student that would want to combine like you did but hasn't got the courage to do so?

AMK: Just like Nike's slogan: "Just do it" Muster courage, draw inspiration from wherever and whomever, acquire energy and start something with them. When I started, I really didn't think I could go this far but look where we are now.

Intr: Thank you very much for your time. We know our readers would definitely pick one or two things from your responses moving forward in their own spaces. We enjoyed every second of our time with you.

AMK: I enjoyed my chat with you too. I really do hope the readers picked a lot from this. Thank you. 🙂


Check out her business page on Instagram
@another_muslimahs_kitchen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.