PROTEST: OAU ASUU AGAINST OTHER STAFF UNIONS OVER THE EARNED ALLOWANCE RATIO.
Tuesday, 28th of November, 2017.
By Olufemi Alfred .O.
Obafemi Awolowo University branch of The Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities, SSANU, Non Academic Staff Union, NASU, and National Association of Academic Technologists, NAAT, have begun a protest against the ratio of sharing the Earned allowances between themselves and Academic Staff Union of Universities ASUU.
The 23 billion naira, out of the 220 billion promised by FG, was approved two months as a product of the indefinite strike embarked on by all staff unions due to the failure of the Federal government to fulfil its part of the 2009 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).'
"We held discussions on all these arreas and we reached agreement on all of them; government has already approved and released some N23 billion for earned allowances in the universities." Chris Ngige, Minister for Labour, stated.
The approved fund necessitated a meeting between the unions and the School's principal officers including the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Eyitope Ogunbodede as it concerns all universities in Nigeria.
In the meeting held on Monday, 27th of November, it was stated that the monies will be shared between the ASUU and other unions with the ratio 89:11. ASUU to be given 89 percent while the remaining 11 percent will be shared between other unions. This rate was backed up with a letter from an Attorney.
In a bid to fight against the proportion, members of SSANU, NAAT and NASU blocked all the major roads leading to the academic area of the university and have stopped all activities in the library and laboratories. It was resolved in a meeting held earlier today that the mass action will continue if their demand of equal distribution is not responded to.
Mr. Olusoji, a representative of NAAT, OAU branch, in a conversation with OAU KILONSHELE said;
"This earned allowance was released by the Government and we all fought for it together. What is good for the goose, is good for the gander. I see no reason why any union should lay claim to an higher percentage of the money. The resolution of the Congress is that the protest should continue until they yield to our demands and that a letter should be sent to the national body."
Comrade Wale Odewumi, the branch chairman of NASU OAU, made it known that a strike action may ensue from the issue, if not properly addressed by the Government.
It was gathered by OAU KILONSHELE that there has been no official letter from the Federal government stating the proportion for sharing the allowance between all the unions and even the letter presented by ASUU as a template was signed without a stamp.
"This is not the first time money will be sent and we will all share it 50:50. It is not done anywhere. Even before the money will be released for disbursement, all the unions must signed that they've agreed to the ratio, which we will not do. I'm afraid if by tomorrow, it is not addressed, we will end up going on strike." Abu Adamu, a member of NASU stated.
Speaking with the Public Relations Officer of the university, Abiodun Olanrewaju, he made known the stance of the school to urge the Unions to strive for peace.
"We urge everyone to allow peace to reign. Let them come to the round table and let the money be shared." Abiodun said.
As at the time of compiling this report, it has been confirmed that some of the Federal Universities like ; University of Ibadan, University of Benin and University of Porthacourt have been shut down by their NASU, SSANU and NAAT branch members on the same issue.