#OAUlivesmatter: How we attempted saving late OAU student's life - Eyewitness.

Peter Oyebanji

Photos to illustrate an ongoing clinical surgery.[http://www.lasuth.org.ng/clinical.html]


An eyewiteness, who was involved in the process of saving the late Abiodun Babatola 's life, has given a detailed account of what transpired during the life-saving attempt.


Abiodun, a late student of department of management and accounting, Obafemi Awolowo University was attacked  by armed robbers at Adam and Eve hostel in the wee hours of Saturday, 22nd of December and eventually died after battling to survive for hours.

This news outfit reported  how students have blamed the school management, the insecurity and the lackadaisical attitudes of the medical institutions in the university for the death of the student.

However, Ojetade Abiola Abdullah, a resident in the area and an History student in the university who was involved in the saving process from the start to the end has given an account of what happened.

Ojetade Abiola in a write-up sent to OAU KILONSHELE, revealed what happened in the process of trying to save Abiola's life.

"At the early hours of 22nd December, 2018, around 1am or close to 2am. Lekan, an occupant of the attacked Adam and Eve hostel came to our house shouting "Baloo, we have been robbed in our hostel and someone has killed in the house." Out of reflex, my roommate and I together with Baloo went with Lekan to the Adam and Eve."

"On getting there, we met Biodun in a pool of blood. We assumed he was dead at first until we saw him shifted his body a little bit. The whole room was covered with blood. In an attempt to rescue him, we carried him but on our way we had to call some of our neighbors to join us in which only Theo came out. In a bid to protect ourselves on the way, Baloo held on to a broken bottle, Muiz (my roommate)  held on to a long Steel and I gave Theo the block in my hand."

Mr. Ojetade Abiola [Facebook]

"I had to back Biodun and Lekan was at my back to adjust him anytime his head is about to shake because he has lost too much blood and was weak and tired. While going to the nearest Medical Center in our area which was Apex Medical Center, we heard movements in the bush in which we even saw a flashlight of phone torch light. I fell down that it was even Baloo that helped to put Biodun back at my back."

"On getting to Apex Medical Center, on seeing the head injury, the Nurse on duty immediately told us to either go to Seventh Day or THC as it's going to require an expert medical skills but there was no vehicle to convey us to school gate."

"So,  Baloo, Theo and Muiz ran to school gate while Lekan and myself were waiting for them. The nurse was telling us to be fast that he’s loosing much blood, that the guys that went to the school gate are taking time. I had to run from apex Medical center to the school gate . While I was running, the 2 policemen on bike saw me running with blood stained on my cloth had to chase me."

Late Abiodun 

"On getting to school gate, I met the other guys, the school security were waiting for the van. So I had to run back to Apex medical center with Baloo. While going on the way,  the Police approached us and we explained everything to them."

"On getting to Apex Medical Center, I had to tear my cloth to bandage his head to hold him from loosing too much blood. I had to back him again and we had to start walking to school gate but on going, we saw a bikeman that helped us to the school gate. On getting to school gate, the school security through the school hilux, conveyed us to the Health center."

"On getting there, the Doctor in charge immediately told us it’s an issue of THC and immediately beckon to the Ambulance to carry us to THC. While in the Ambulance, the Doctor was making effort to infuse water into him but couldn’t find vein. On getting to THC,  the Doctors on ground attended to us  by trying to find the vein to infuse water into him. But owing to fruitless effort, oxygen bag was immediately given to him."

"After that, we were moved to the resuscitation room. It took 45 minutes to 1 hour before vein was later located on him. Owing to the fact that he has lost much blood, a pant of blood was demanded from the blood bank and was infused to him. But the problem was that the Surgery could have taken place but the Doctors couldn’t decide on time if they should stitch him up before performing the surgery or not. Also, the fact that they couldn’t get his pulse rate owing to his abnormal breathing rate."

"However, when it was getting close to 8am, the school security came to give me cloth to wear to go and call someone related to him, so as to get his bio data necessary for further medical attention. But before I left, they were already stitching him up."

"On getting to Adam and Eve, I saw Lekan and he told me his roommate and cousin were inside the test hall. We had to rush to 1000 seaters to get Victor, a family member. We told the Invigilator what happened but he said the guy had to write the test, as he was not convinced about our claims."

"After about 30 minutes, we left with Victor for THC but in the way he told us that Raji I.e Biodun’s cousin has gone there. On getting to THC,  when I entered the resuscitation room, I found out that everything infused on his body has been removed."

"So I came out immediately but couldn’t find the Doctors and Nurses that we were together in the midnight. I talked with the Nurse on charge, she told me to wait that she’s coming. Lekan ran to me and told me the guy is not breathing again."

"While I was on my way to challenge the Nurse, a Prof that was with a different patient through the night, called me outside and told me that we lost him, I wasn’t myself. By that time, we saw Raji and the Girl that Biodun slept her room and they saw me crying with Victor and Lekan. That announced the death to them too."

Contrary to the popular belief that there was  negligent at both the OAUTHC and the health centre, Ojetade Abiola claimed that there wasn't negligent neither were they taken unseriously by the medical practitioners.

"It should be noted we were attended to not only at THC, but at health centre too. Not at any stage did they request for ID card, and the general public should dismiss any news saying so. We could actually fault the attitude of the doctors in the delay of the surgery, but the doctors to patients ratio was totally exhausting too."

Although, Ojetade clarified that there was a shortage of equipments. He also clarified that late student only had 50 percent chance of surviving and that there was never a case when they needed to get a private car to transport them to the hospital.

"Not only there was shortage of staffs, there were shortage of equipments necessary for the surgery. Also, he has lost too much blood, and his survival was 50/50."

"It should also be noted that they only requested I pay for Apron, which he had on him already, and it was immediately the Prof beside me volunteered to pay. Also, not at any point were we transported in any private car, it was the school hilux that got us to school health center and then ambulance to THC."
"In respect to the deceased, I plead with the public to stop peddling false news. I pray may his soul rest in perfect peace and may God give the family the fortitude to bear the loss." Ojetade Abiola said

Comments

  1. Why did he keep quiet all these while???
    Why didn't he release this when the rumor was going on?
    All lies!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.