Letter to my younger self by Adekambi Ademola.




Hey boy, how are you doing? I really apologise for taking this long to write you. It has been twelve years since you heard from me and I have to say,it has been a crazy ride so far but as I promised while I was leaving, I'll give you everything in details.


Life is a whole different experience here and I have to prepare your mind for what it is to be grown. There are no taps on the back from mother in the morning to get you ready for the day,neither is there a plea from mother for you to eat. You have to do these things yourself without any supervision.


     Schooling is far from the usual. There are no school bells to tell you it is time to eat neither are there bells to tell you it is time to go home,you have to figure it out on your own. Assignments are not quantitative and verbal reasoning. Assignments are mostly done with a computer (it is a machine used to process data and has a screen like a television and has keypads like the one on father's phone,only difference is that the keypads are bigger and many) where they are typed and printed to be submitted to the lecturer,they are called lecturers here and not Teachers.
   
We have hostels here where we live,it is our home. We go there after lectures just like you go home when the bell rings for closing time. Things are mostly done by yourself here,nobody will look out for you. Do you remember how mum comes with different candies and ice-cream when you are ill?

 Nobody brings anything here. Once you realise you are ill you go to the health centre to meet nurses with very hard faces and wicked hands to give you injection.
Your only worry is your assignment and passing exams but it is a whole different level of worries here. From making sure the marks in every course or subject are good to thinking about what to eat and managing money. Guy,i cannot lie,life dey hard gan for here but as usual person go dey okay.

       I am sure you are wondering if there is any thing good about growing up (laughs) there are so many things that are fun about growing up. I have beards already,you remember when you used to play with father's shaving stick and mother would smile and say "with time,you will own yours" she was right. The part where boys of your age call me uncle goes to show that someone somewhere looks up to me so it is enough conscious effort that I pay attention to what I say,do and how I dress.
     
Yeah, another thing, Babes go dey show up anyhow sha, even if you don't have it in mind to talk to them but regardless your intentions just have to be pure with them. Women are amazing creatures which you wish you understood but will cause problems if you try to understand. I will explain that in my next letter. Goals are laid down at this stage and looking at the goals every morning gives a kind of renewed energy to carry on with the day and stuff. Overall, it has been a bumpy ride but really grateful for where I am. I will stop here to get some rest. What does  this life have  me? I look forward to tomorrow for answers.


Till we read from each other again, it is bye for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.