A letter to my other half by Akin-David.




The lies we tell to our own selves;
It hurts the most.
The truths we dare to tell us,
They liberate.



With a strong will of hope, and a feeling very close to desperation, I pick up my pen and tell this to my other half. The other half of me who is yet to come. The one who still waits to receive the final baton of my life and take the anchor.

He’s the other half of me in ten, twenty or maybe two years. The future. The half of me I strongly hope in to succeed this present phase.

I’m not the only one who should be writing this letter. Even you, dear reader, have yours to write. It’s a letter of reflection. Of accountability and hope in the future.

It is relative in a way too. For some,their other half lies in years to come,and for others, decades might be the case.

Without regards to the variation in the definitions of our future halves, I present to you my own letter.

Dear Akin-David of the future,

Good day man. What’s good? It’s me Akin of the present. I don’t get to write you all the time and I’m sorry. I’m specifically taking this opportunity to tell you how much in patient waiting I am to receive you. The very thought of you gives me the motivation I need most times.

To be honest buddy, I feel like I don’t deserve you sometimes. I feel like I’m being overambitious to think you’d be gracious enough to want to be me.

Other times, I feel at peace within. This unexplainable peace I have when I see you in my head and the troubles of the time instantly diminishes into a thin air. Like a smoke from an exhaust.

Anyways I’m writing you today. The first of many I will write to make sure I have you in mind when next the thought of giving up comes to mind. When next I feel I really don’t deserve you exactly how I have it imagined and pictured already.

I write to tell you I will be strong and that I will persevere. That the troubles of the time can’t be compared to the great glory that will come when I hand over the baton to you.

I write to tell you that I will be confident, diligent and proactive in what ever I find my hand doing.

I write to tell you that I will not stop till I achieve everything that is to be achieved to usher you in.

Dude, I promise that the little complaints I always find, the excuses- that drains the focus and the strength- I will find them no more.

To be candid, I’m not really sure I will win all the battles in the war to usher you in, but I’m certain I will give a try. I will be courageous, like Joshua, I will keep faith till the end.

One thing is sure however, I will win the war. It doesn’t matter how many of the in-war battles I lose or die in. I will rise again like the cat with nine lives.
I will be you one day.

Greet her for me.
Tell her I really do love her. Honestly. I really do.

Yours forever,
Akin-David, the present.


Akintewogbade David is a student journalist with OAU KILONSHELE. Akin can be reached on 08168109443 (Via WhatsApp)  OR Email: Akinade500@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.