OAU: MANAGEMENT PAYS EA AGAINST THE RESOLUTION OF THE NON-ACADEMIC STAFF UNIONS.
Wednesday, 13th December, 2017.
By Olufemi Alfred .O.
The management of Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife, has acted against the decision of the Non-academic staff unions by paying the controversial Earned Allowance EA to all the unions, including the Teaching, which is Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) and the Non-teaching Staff unions; Senior Staff Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), Non Academic Staff Union (NASU) and National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT).
Earlier today, in a release from the Office of the Public Relations Officer of the school, Olanrewaju Abiodun, he stated that the payment has begun earlier today.
When asked whether the action by the school will not instigate any violent move from the side of the Non-academic staff unions as it is against their stance of not paying any of the unions until a consensus is reached by the Joint Action Committee(JAC),
"I don't respond to speculations, let us see what comes out first." Abiodun added.
Moreover, OAU KILONSHELE reported the willingness of the University to pay any of the unions, in a letter signed by Dotun Awoyemi, the Registrar of the institution.
"The University has decided that any union that's ready to collect her own will be paid without any delay. This is sequel to the policy of the Federal government to mop back the money to the Treasury Single Account as personnel emoluments if not paid by 31st of December." the letter stated.
It should be recalled that OAU KILONSHELE reported the commence of an indefinite strike action by JAC, which is the central body of all the Non-academic staff unions. The strike, which commenced on the 4th of December, is owing to the sharing template of the disbursed Earned Allowance as directed by the Federal government. OAU ASUU to be paid 1, 571, 133, 153.50naira and 168, 272, 921.18 naira to be paid to the other three unions
The payment has been confirmed to have received members of the unions. Mr. Olusoji, a member of NAAT explained to our correspondent that some of their members have received bank alerts of payment.
'Our members have been seeing alerts but no one knows the percentage they used to share the allowance' he said.
Also, Abu Adamu, a member of NASU affirmed that the payment has commenced and he added that the formula 89:11 was employed.
" They paid 89% to ASUU and the remaining 11% was shared among the other three unions. While a NASU member is receiving 50, 000 naira, an ASUU member is receiving 1,000,000 naira and above."
Meanwhile, as at the time of compiling this report, all efforts to reach the leaders of the unions proved abortive.