INTERVIEW: I personally called the President and Speaker to my office to intervene- JC Lord Chancellor

 




In this exclusive interview, the Great Ife Students' Union Judicial Council, Lord Chancellor, Abiodun Adesanya speaks with OAU KILONSHELE about the kicked against judgement on Speaker's suspension and his book entitled "Politics, academic and religion- A trajectory on student leadership"



"I personally called the President and Speaker to my office as a brother and friend to intervene. None of them showed up. I later discover their non-appearance was political." 


Being the Lord Chancellor of the Great Ife Students Union Judicial Council, What are the challenges and achievements incurred so far since the reinstatement of the Union?


Let me start by saying it's an honour and privilege for me to be in the revered seat as the Lord Chancellor of the union. This I do not take for granted. My appreciation to all Great Ife.

To start with are the successes recorded thus far from the inception of our appointment since late November 2022. Upon our appointment, the Council swings into action by embarking on familiarisation and courtsey visit to stakeholders in the university community. Then I ensured that the spirit and letter of the Constitution is preserved through the Judicial Council. 

This current judicial council brought about the Court Procedure (Civil and Criminal) Rules 2022. This is the first of its kind in recent times. It is the guiding rule for all litigants, counsels and the court in the administration of justice. This is in line with best national and global practices when it comes to adjudication. 

Another success recorded is that for the first time in decade, the Judicial arm of the union sat on high profile case which involves the other two arms of government. The court, no doubt, gave a valid judgement.

Recently, my council organized an online legal webinar that seeks to contribute our quota to ensuring a free and fair 2023 general election. Themed "Youths and Electoral Malpractice: Challenges and Legal Remedies in 2023 Election", the event was duly honoured by eminent resource persons. I intend to make a monthly engaging program.

It is no doubt that any human body will have its own challenges. The Judicial Council is not an exception. 

I think our first challenge is the inability to have a judicial workshop for the council immediately after our appointment. Recall that our appointment cut across many faculties. The major factor was finances. We presented our budget to the appropriate quarter, but it was excessively slashed which hinders the execution of the workshop. However, we will still do the needful as the process to that effect is ongoing. 

Another challenge bothers on the lawsuit between the Speaker and President. Despite our judgment, its full enforcement was stiffened with various interests which I wouldn't want to make mention of. The role which external interference plays on our union is not only excessive but detrimental.


The fracas that recently ensued between the Executive Council and SRC that led to the acclaimed suspension of the Speaker in a congress, which the case was later brought before your council with an outcome and verdict of the nullification of the Speaker's suspension but kicked against by the Executive council, what's your reaction to that?


Though the fracas between the SRC and CEC has been judicially laid to rest, it, unfortunately, seems to be the beginning of another end. To me, we all know what is right, we just need someone to validate our good or bad actions. 

Permit me to point out that few days after the suspension saga happened at the Congress, I personally called the President and Speaker to my office as a brother and friend to intervene. None of them showed up. I later discover their non-appearance was political. 

Subsequently, the matter was referred to court and the court heard both parties in the presence of countless Great Ife students, then we gave our verdict.

I think the unwillingness of a party further fuels the lingering crisis, even after adjudication. I am not unaware of the flame of interference of external persons and management in this matter. I think we should start holding the independence of our union, without which the incessant influence of third parties will either make or mar us. 

However, I can see light at the end of the tunnel.


The school authority wrote to the said suspended Speaker warning him to cease activities pertaining to his office also recognizing the congress that established his suspension despite your judgment on the case, didn't you begin to question your relevance and existence as a Judicial Council?


I think the relevance of the Judicial Council shouldn't be a subject of debate, rather why should there be external interference in union matters? Every university stakeholders and unions have their own way of administering its affairs and internal mechanism of resolving conflicts. I think the concern should be why that of Great Ife students union seems to be an exception. 

After the judgement, I can say the lingering crisis has led to various security challenges we have witnessed in recent times in the history of our union. Had the court judgement been fully implemented, I doubt we will witness those security threats as I believe all parties will from there focus on their constitutional duties rather than political witch-huntings. 

The Judicial Council however further swing to action by writing to the school authorities, being superior in the university organisational hierarchy, in order to forestall further security threats. I think our letter yielded positive results as students consequently are now aware of arrests and investigations of persons threatening the peace of the university community. 

There is no effect without a cause. The non-implementation of court order is not without consequences. I hold that the relevance of the judicial council is as strong as a rock.


You recently wrote a book entitled "Politics, academics and religion - A trajectory on student leadership", what was your motive and inspiration behind it?


I've been a writer for many years. And I have served in many capacities within and outside OAU. As an avid reader, I discovered that there is few or no resources on student leadership and activism. And I was moved to penning down my own personal experience on leadership. You will agree with me that there's no how a leader and writer will write on Leadership without imputing his or her personal experience. This gave me the impetus to write the book, embedded with useful essentials of leadership and biographies of eminent leaders.


Some students laid an accusation finger of you defaming them with the book, was that the aim and what's your say?


I must say categorically that I never intend to defame or talk down on anybody. As I said, my writing was spurred by my interest in books and sharing my personal experience. I'm privileged to have read numerous local and foreign autobiographies and biographies, among which is "Long Walk To Freedom" written by President Nelson Mandela, and I was fascinated by those books. I imbibed their style of writing and inculcate lessons taught by those pieces of literature. 

It will be absurd for me to sit down and think that what is next for me to do is to start defaming fellow students. My book was reviewed by not less than 15 personalities, edited by 2 writers and foreworded by a monarch before publication and subsequently reviewed by other eminent persons and legal practitioners after launching. 

I think such students should be fair enough. However, the book has taught me lessons, which include that people don't usually want their actions and inactions to be written down. I am aware of those who have made the book a subject of political game. 

However, to all who feel aggrieved by my book, I tender my unreserved apology. I also use this opportunity to appreciate those who gave constructive criticism. Special appreciation to those who have a copy, read it and have given their feedback. We shall all be great!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.