Short Story: "Bob RISKY" by Akin David

Akin David



Until recently, I've had a very bad habit of picking up books and stopping halfway while reading them. Must be the reason I haven't written in a while. One of these books included a beautiful master piece from a mentor in the Medical field, Benjamin Carson, author of the bestselling Think Big and Gifted Hands.

Amazing book, I must say. A lot of stories about how he had made split second decisions that altered the lives, and in some cases, the quality of living of people he had worked on, his co-workers at John Hopkins and even himself. As someone who enjoys well told stories, it was breathtaking. A very good read indeed.

As I continued scanning through the book from page to page, I got to discover that Ben is a great risk taker - one reason he's stood the test of time In the limelight. His risk taking abilities go beyond the surgical rooms, with the brains of the patients opened and soft classical music playing in the background. It cut across all aspects and dimensions of his endeavors.
Now that got me thinking. On the little risks I shy away from, the ones we all take for granted. Words that are being said, the ones left unsaid. Even silence.

Although, Ben made his position clear about evolving daily into the kind of risk taker he'd want to be later in life, it is obvious this guy has been through a lot and is a massive risk taker himself.
Throughout the scanning of this amazing book, one thing stuck, something I haven't completely placed my hands on yet myself but I can only give an approximation of my thoughts and hope you'll find your own denotation of it.
What are you afraid of?

Really, what is it? What is the worse that can happen if you try out that business and fail? Or get your butts out of depression? Do you know that the trick is only in the mind? What would it hurt if you go that extra mile to live that life of your dreams?

Even in relationships,  friendships and stuff,  I've discovered lately that it takes an amount of courage to risk getting new people into your circles. I am a case study.

For about a semester now, there has been this classmate of mine - Ehn, na woman - I've been hoping to get along with. Just to be on regular talking terms with and I must say that it has been embarrassingly discouraging to note that I, perhaps, seem to her an idle, clingy chap who has too much free time in his hands.

I've discovered again, and it's scientifically proven that reaching out to people for just attention, friendship, company and the likes makes you vulnerable. It projects you as not self-sufficient too. And I guess that's why we all are recluses now however sad it might sound. We all now seek comfort in the social media; Kenny black's latest videos and twitter savages from the Chemical Brothers and TheOneEyedEdoBoys.

No one wants to feel vulnerable anymore. We all now want that sense of self sufficiency which is false in reality. It is a charade we're gradually turning into a reality and it's killing.

And that's what I picked from Ben's "Take that risk." Just like I took the risk with the girl who of course I have stopped "disturbing" - That doesn't take away the sweetness in her gorgeous smile though. It's time to look inward and start facing these silent demons.

Before I drop this virtual pen, I'll like you to know that many of the amazing people I have in my circles today, it took a level of  risk in projecting my intentions to be friends to get us here and I'm sure the same goes for us all, albeit unconsciously.

And because I have failed at this trial doesn't mean I'll stop taking these risks and many more like it in all the spheres of my life. I implore you to do the same.

You might be wondering where the "Bob Risky" appellation came from.. I guess I just like the "Risky" part...LOL


Akin-David can be reached via 08168109443

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faculty of Administration releases cut-off marks for departments

OAU RELEASES FINAL LIST FOR 2017/2018 ADMISSIONS.

OAU ADMISSIONS MERIT LIST UPLOADED ON JAMB WEBSITE.